Translate

Sunday 28 July 2013

30 Day Blog challenge - Three things I've learned that school didn't teach me






Day 23 - Three things I've learned that school didn't teach me.


1. The first thing that sprang to mind was that not everyone thinks like me. I can't have expectations that everyone will want to agree or do the same as I would, because they're simply not me. I guess I now have 37 years experience behind me, and it took a LONG time for me to realise this. The thing is, none of us are immune from making bad decisions and even if you press your ideas and opinions onto someone because you have the benefit of experience, it doesn't mean they'll listen. They have to do what's right for them.

2. I grew up thinking I would be complete mother earth with my children once I had them. Being a mother is HARD. Being a mother to twins is HARD. Being a single mother is HARD. Being a single mother to twins is HARD. Being a single mother to twins, and one has a very serious health condition, plus autism and other (as yet) undiagnosed mental health issues is HARD. I've spent the last eleven years swimming in and out of severe depression. There was a time when I was still married and the kids were still toddlers that I was drinking heavily just to escape my head. I would work as often as possible just so I didn't have to go home. When I decided I didn't want to be married anymore, things didn't get easier, but they did improve. But it was a long, slow road. I've been officially divorced about three years, and it's only in the last 18 months I'd say I've totally come into my own. Some people do me down in that they don't approve of my opinions or maybe even how I handle the kids, but we are a happy little trio. One day I would love to have my boyfriend live with us all, but I want it to be perfect. I messed up big style last time and I don't want to go through that again. I always said I would never get married again, but the truth is I would love to one day. 

3. Don't put petrol in a diesel car. Never happened to me, but it's what my dad taught me! 

 See what the other ladies learned in the school of life!



No comments:

Post a Comment